Monday, October 25, 2010

{The Pumpkin}

I love pumpkins. I especially love the smell of anything pumpkin...Candles, pies, coffee...whatever it is I have never been disappointed when it comes to something pumpkin related.

As I was perusing the internet tonight searching for recipes on what to do with pumpkin insides (ya know the gross guts that we always throw out?) I came across this yummy deliciousness. Although it doesn't help me take care of those insides I can't wait to try it out! I'm thinking it is the perfect recipe for a Sunday morning Halloween breckie (ie breakfast :) ).


And according to Martha they are actually good for you? Apparently pumpkins are filled with carotenoids lutein, zeaxanthin and alpha-carotene which in real people terms means it helps protect against eye disease (macular degeneration) and helps to prevent tumor growth!

Woo Hoo! Can't wait to get baking this weekend and do something good for my families health...Thanks Martha!


Ingredients:

Makes 12 muffins
  • 3/4 cup vegetable oil, plus more for pan
  • 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour, spooned and leveled
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 cups pumpkin puree
  • 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 cup turbinado sugar, plus 2 tablespoons more for sprinkling (Sugar In The Raw Turbinado Sugar)
  • 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts
 Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush 12 jumbo muffin tins (each with a 1-cup capacity) with oil; set aside.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk flours, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and baking soda; set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, whisk oil, pumpkin puree, yogurt, eggs, and 1 cup sugar to combine; add 1 cup walnuts and reserved dry ingredients. Mix just until moistened (do not overmix).
  4. Divide evenly and spoon batter into muffin tins; sprinkle tops with remaining walnuts and sugar. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool 5 minutes in pan.
Seems easy enough to me! What's your favorite thing about the fall? And anyone have tips on what to do with those insides???


Don't forget about the great giveaway going on right now! Be sure to check out how to win some free Mary Kay products! You have until October 28th at midnight to enter. I mean it doesn't get better then free and it is so easy to enter!


And just for fun....here's some other pumpkin recipes that look divine!
Pumpkin Spice Waffles
Pumpkin Spice Fudge
Pumpkin Mousse

Photo and recipe courtesy of Wholeliving.com 

Here's some of the places where I like to share:
Market Yourself Monday @Sumos Sweet Stuff
Tatertots and Jello

1 comment:

  1. So I tried making the pumpkim muffins this morning for Halloween but I didn't put the spice because I am not a huge pumpkin spice person. The muffins were pretty good but now I'm wondering if I should have put the pumpkin spice in. :) Thank you for the recipe. I have an amazing recipe for pumpkin bars. They are to die for. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...